Beth Simone Noveck directs the Governance Lab (GovLab) and its MacArthur Research Network on Opening Governance. She is the Jerry M. Hultin Global Network Professor at New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering.
Her current research focuses on “people-led innovation,” namely the ability of communities and institutions to work together to solve problems more effectively and legitimately.
Currently, she directs programs to promote effective public engagement in lawmaking (CrowdLaw), to help public institutions expert-source and implement innovative solutions to hard problems (Smarter Crowdsourcing) and to train civic leaders and civil servants in how to collaborate with their own communities (Civic Challenges).
At NYU, Beth teaches the graduate-level Clinic on Governance Innovation: Technology for Social Change and Governing Cities. She also coaches "public entrepreneurs" online through the GovLab Academy, working with passionate individuals to take their public interest projects from idea to implementation and become agents of change in their own communities.
Beth served in the White House as the first United States Deputy Chief Technology Officer and director of the White House Open Government Initiative from 2009 to 2011. UK Prime Minister David Cameron appointed her senior advisor for Open Government.
A graduate of Harvard University and Yale Law School, she is a member of the Board of the Center for Open Science and the advisory boards of the Open Contracting Partnership and the EPSRC Centre for Precision Healthcare at Imperial College. She is also a member of the Global Future Council on Technology, Values and Policy for the World Economic Forum. She serves on the Steering Committee for the Collective Intelligence Conferences.
Beth is the author of Smart Citizens, Smarter State: The Technologies of Expertise and the Future of Governing (Harvard Univ Press 2015) andWiki Government: How Technology Can Make Government Better, Democracy Stronger and Citizens More Powerful (Brookings 2009) and co-editor of The State of Play: Law, Games and Virtual Worlds (NYU Press, 2005). Her next book, Public Entrepreneurship: Training the Next Generation of Public Leader and Problem Solver, will appear with Yale Press in 2018. Her TED talk is here. She tweets @bethnoveck.
- Can Smarter Crowdsourcing Stop Zika? (CityLab Miami 2016, Video): Beth Simone Noveck in conversation with Rudi Borrman.
- The International Congress on Government Administration and Public Policy (#GIGAPP2016, Video): An Interview with Beth Simone Noveck.
- The Tech Presidency - Governing in the Age of Big Data and Machine Learning (LinkedIn Speaker Series, 2016, Video): Beth Noveck’s talk at the LinkedIn Speaker Series
- The Obama administration wanted to open up government to citizen input. Why hasn’t it worked? (The Washington Post, 2016): An interview with Beth Simone Noveck
- Smart Citizens, Smarter State: The Technologies of Expertise (#BCTECHSummit, 2016, Video): Beth Noveck’s talk at the #BCTECHSummit
- The big data opportunity (#BCTECHSummit, 2016, Video): Panel discussion moderated by Beth Noveck at the #BCTECHSummit
- The Tinder Approach to Fixing Our Government (The Brian Lehrer Show, 2016, Audio): Beth Noveck on the Brian Lehrer show on WNYC 93.9 FM
- How Technology can make our democracy more transparent (El Pais, 2015, Video): An interview with El Pais
- Demand a more open source government (TED, 2012, Video): Beth Noveck at TED2012
- Can the Open Data Revolution Change Our Democracy (TED Radio hour, 2012, Audio): NPR TED Radio Hour
- What government can learn from tech (TechRepublic, 2015): A conversation with Beth Noveck
- Bringing Democracy into the 21st century (Scenario Magazine, 2016): J.P O’Malley in the Scenario Magazine
- The International Congress on Government Administration and Public Policy (#GIGAPP2016, Video): An Interview with Beth Simone Noveck
- How to mobilize group intelligence, Nature 551 (November 30, 2017): Beth Simone Noveck’s review of Geoff Mulgan’s book Big Mind
- Beth Simone Noveck, Five hacks for digital democracy, Nature 544, 287-289 (April 20, 2017).
- B.S. Noveck et al. Smarter Health-Boosting Analytical Capacity at NHS, The GovLab, February 2017.
- Another NHS Crisis Looms-An Inability to Analyse Data (The Guardian, 2017): An Op-ed in The Guardian by Beth Noveck.
- Could crowdsourcing expertise be the future of government?(The Guardian, 2016): An op-ed in the Guardian by Beth Noveck.
- Beth Simone Noveck, Is Open Data the Death of FOIA?, 126 Yale L.J. F. 273 (2016)
- The Rise of the Citizen Expert (Policy Network, 2016): Beth Simone Noveck’s article on citizen expertise in Policy Network.
- Swipe right to fix the world: can Tinder-like tech match solutions to problems? (The Guardian, 2016): An Op-ed in The Guardian by Beth Noveck.
- The Innovation the Grantmaking Process Needs (Governing, 2016): Beth Noveck and Andrew Young on Open Grantmaking.
- Smarter Crowdsourcing Zika
- Smarter Crowdsourcing Anti Corruption
- Data-Driven Criminal Justice
- The GovLab Public Projects Canvas
- The GovLab Academy
- Network of Innovators
- OPEN NYU
- OrgPedia - Crowdsourcing and Impact Modeling
- Information for Impact: Liberating Nonprofit Sector Data
- Peer to Patent
- FDA Profiles
- NHS Public Data Science Network
- Open Grantmaking
- Smarter State Case Studies
- Smarter Crowdsourcing Cotopaxi
- Civic Challenges - San Pedro Garza García
- The MacArthur Research Network for Opening Governance
- Solving Public Problems with Data
- Data Labs