Beth Simone Noveck directs the Governance Lab (GovLab) and its MacArthur Research Network on Opening Governance. She is a Professor in Technology, Culture, and Society at New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering and a Fellow at NYU’s Institute for Public Knowledge. New Jersey governor Phil Murphy appointed her as the state’s first Chief Innovation Officer in 2018. Previously, Beth served in the White House as the first United States Deputy Chief Technology Officer and director of the White House Open Government Initiative under President Obama. UK Prime Minister David Cameron appointed her senior advisor for Open Government.
At the GovLab, she directs better governance programs, including work with public institutions on public engagement in lawmaking (CrowdLaw), expert-sourcing innovative solutions to hard problems (Smarter Crowdsourcing), co-creation between cities and citizens (City Challenges). She also coaches "public entrepreneurs.” working with passionate individuals to take their public interest projects from idea to implementation.
A graduate of Harvard University and Yale Law School, she is a member of the Scholars Council of the Library of Congress, the Center for Open Science, Open Contracting Partnership and the EPSRC Centre for the Mathematics of Precision Healthcare. Beth also serves on the International Advisory Board of the NHS Digital Academy and as a member of the Inter-American Development Bank President’s Commission on Transparency and Corruption. She is a member of the Steering Committee for the Collective Intelligence Conferences and GIGAPP (Grupo de Investigación en Gobierno, Administracion y Politicas Publicas).
In 2018, Beth was awarded a Robert Schumann Fellowship at the European University Institute and a Richard von Weizsaecker Fellowship by the Robert Bosch Foundation. Beth was named one of the “World’s 100 Most Influential People in Digital Government 2018” by Apolitical. Previously, she was selected as one of the “Foreign Policy 100″ by Foreign Policy as well as one of the “100 Most Creative People in Business” by Fast Company and “Top Women in Technology” by Huffington Post.
Beth is the author of Smart Citizens, Smarter State: The Technologies of Expertise and the Future of Governing (Harvard Univ Press 2015) and Wiki Government: How Technology Can Make Government Better, Democracy Stronger and Citizens More Powerful (Brookings 2009) and co-editor of The State of Play: Law, Games and Virtual Worlds (NYU Press, 2005). Her next book, Public Entrepreneurship: Training the Next Generation of Public Leader and Problem Solver, will appear with Yale Press. Her TED talk is here. She tweets @bethnoveck.
- Best and worst of times: how disruption will reshape work (Sydney Morning Herald, Aug 11 2018)
- If a robot's eating your job, it's probably eating your life expectancy too (Sydney Morning Herald, July 2018)
- Interview with Beth Noveck in ERR Novataar (Eesti Rahvusringhääling, May 2018)
- La Madre Del Gobierno Abierto (La Vanguardia, 2017)
- Experta expondrá este jueves sobre uso de nuevas tecnologías en el gobierno (La Tercera, 2017)
- The Policy Labs We Urgently Need (Governing, December 13 2017).
- Can Smarter Crowdsourcing Stop Zika? (CityLab Miami 2016, Video): Beth Simone Noveck in conversation with Rudi Borrman.
- The International Congress on Government Administration and Public Policy (#GIGAPP2016, Video): An Interview with Beth Simone Noveck.
- The Tech Presidency - Governing in the Age of Big Data and Machine Learning (LinkedIn Speaker Series, 2016, Video): Beth Noveck’s talk at the LinkedIn Speaker Series
- The Obama administration wanted to open up government to citizen input. Why hasn’t it worked? (The Washington Post, 2016): An interview with Beth Simone Noveck
- Smart Citizens, Smarter State: The Technologies of Expertise (#BCTECHSummit, 2016, Video): Beth Noveck’s talk at the #BCTECHSummit
- The big data opportunity (#BCTECHSummit, 2016, Video): Panel discussion moderated by Beth Noveck at the #BCTECHSummit
- The Tinder Approach to Fixing Our Government (The Brian Lehrer Show, 2016, Audio): Beth Noveck on the Brian Lehrer show on WNYC 93.9 FM
- How Technology can make our democracy more transparent (El Pais, 2015, Video): An interview with El Pais
- Demand a more open source government (TED, 2012, Video): Beth Noveck at TED2012
- Can the Open Data Revolution Change Our Democracy (TED Radio hour, 2012, Audio): NPR TED Radio Hour
- What government can learn from tech (TechRepublic, 2015): A conversation with Beth Noveck
- Bringing Democracy into the 21st century (Scenario Magazine, 2016): J.P O’Malley in the Scenario Magazine
- The International Congress on Government Administration and Public Policy (#GIGAPP2016, Video): An Interview with Beth Simone Noveck
- Beth Noveck, "Public Sector Digest: Leadership & Change Management", June 2018
- Beth Noveck, "New win and new bottles: The promise of research in the age of big data", February 2018 (Review of Bit by Bit: Social Research in the Digital Age, Matthew J. Salganik)
- Congress Is Broken. CrowdLaw Could Help Fix It. (Forbes, 2018)
- Rights-based and Tech-Driven: Open Data, Freedom of Information, and the Future of Government Transparency (Yale Human Rights and Development Law Journal Volume XIX, Page 1, 2018)
- Building the Smarter State: The Role of Data Labs and the Data Labs Case Studies (GovLab White Paper Series) (with Anirudh Dinesh) (Dec 2017).
- How to mobilize group intelligence, Nature 551 (November 30, 2017): Beth Simone Noveck’s review of Geoff Mulgan’s book Big Mind
- Beth Simone Noveck, Five hacks for digital democracy, Nature 544, 287-289 (April 20, 2017).
- B.S. Noveck et al. Smarter Health-Boosting Analytical Capacity at NHS, The GovLab, February 2017.
- Another NHS Crisis Looms-An Inability to Analyse Data (The Guardian, 2017): An Op-ed in The Guardian by Beth Noveck.
- Could crowdsourcing expertise be the future of government?(The Guardian, 2016): An op-ed in the Guardian by Beth Noveck.
- Beth Simone Noveck, Is Open Data the Death of FOIA?, 126 Yale L.J. F. 273 (2016)
- The Rise of the Citizen Expert (Policy Network, 2016): Beth Simone Noveck’s article on citizen expertise in Policy Network.
- Swipe right to fix the world: can Tinder-like tech match solutions to problems? (The Guardian, 2016): An Op-ed in The Guardian by Beth Noveck.
- The Innovation the Grantmaking Process Needs (Governing, 2016): Beth Noveck and Andrew Young on Open Grantmaking.
- Data-Driven Criminal Justice
- FDA Profiles
- Information for Impact: Liberating Nonprofit Sector Data
- Network of Innovators
- NHS Public Data Science Network
- Open Grantmaking
- OPEN NYU
- OrgPedia - Crowdsourcing and Impact Modeling
- Peer to Patent
- Smarter Crowdsourcing Anti Corruption
- Smarter Crowdsourcing Cotopaxi
- Smarter Crowdsourcing Zika
- Smarter State Case Studies
- Solving Public Problems with Data
- The GovLab Academy
- The GovLab Public Projects Canvas
- The MacArthur Research Network for Opening Governance